Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ty Law Wants To Retire As A Patriot


FROM WEEI.COM

Ty Law believes he has one more contract in him. But this time around, he’s not looking for the big bucks —instead, the former Patriots cornerback dropped a not-so-subtle hint on Tuesday night, saying that he was “pretty much retired,” but that he’d like to sign a one-day contract with New England and retire a Patriot.

“That would be ... that’s one of the reasons I haven’t officially turned my papers in because I would like to at least say the last contract I sign was with New England,” Law said, speaking prior to being honored at The Tradition at the TD Garden. “That would be an honor if I was able to do that, if Mr. Kraft was to bless me with something like that, that would be the icing on the cake for a 15-year career.”


To be honest, I've never gotten the whole "one day contract so I can retire with the team" thing. Jerry Rice did it with the 49ers. Nomar did it with the Red Sox. Shit, even NFL legend Donovan Darius did it with the Jacksonville Jaguars. I just don't get it. Ty Law was one of the greatest cornerbacks of his generation and will more than likely be enshrined in both the NFL and Patriots Hall of Fame. That being said, I respect his decision to want to retire as a Patriot because honestly, who wants to retire as a Chief or Jet?

What I don't like about these one day contracts is that they always seem to be from players who had a falling out with ownership and feel like it would be some sort of apology. Like aren't the speeches you will give in Canton and Foxboro enough? Just go into the Hall of Fame with a Patriots hat for Christ's sake.

Now rumor has it that Willie McGinest wants to do the same. The Patriots have never allowed any one to do this and for good reason. It is more of a publicity/ PR stunt than anything else and the Pats know that. I mean Jesus, look at what happened when Nomar retired as a Red Sox/Sock? Dude was on ESPN ten seconds later.

Law clearly wishes he had stayed with the Pats and I don't blame him but I just find all of this pointless. His number will get retired, he is a Hall of Famer and three-time Super Bowl Champion. He doesn't need to sign a fake contract to validate his time in New England.




No comments: