Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Someone Pinch Me: The Bruins Win THE STANLEY CUP


The wait is over.

After watching the other three major sports franchises in town parade through the streets of Boston this decade, the Bruins can finally stand alongside the multiple champions.

The Bruins raised their sixth Stanley Cup last night at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, shutting out the Canucks 4-0 and literally setting the host city ablaze.

Patrice Bergeron scored late in the first, as he took a centering pass from Brad Marchand and stuffed it home to shut the crowd up. This goal was vintage March-Mont, who took a faceoff loss, turned it into a win and found Bergeron wide open. Luongo was helpless.

Marchand kept it going midway through the second period, scoring on a wraparound chance on Luongo's stickside to double the Bruins lead. Luongo seemed to have made the initial save but somehow the puck squirted under him in what can be described as a soft goal.

Soft is an understatement compared to Bergeron's shorthanded goal just a few minutes later. Bergy was in alone and got pulled down to the ice. As the penalty was being called, the puck squirted into the net and after video review, the goal was upheld. Marchand's empty net goal in the 3rd put the game on ice and the Bruins won their sixth cup.

The parade is tomorrow starting at 11 am, starting at The TD Garden and ending at Copley Square.

*Game Notes*

*We may have just seen the most impressive single season performance from a goaltender of all time. Besides saving the Bruins collective asses time and time again, Tim Thomas racked up quite a few accomplishments. In the regular season, he set the record for highest save percentage and in the playoffs, he raised his game if that is possible. Aside from winning the Stanley Cup, Thomas was awarded the Conn Smythe Trophy as the MVP of the playoffs and will most likely be the Vezina Trophy winner for the second time in three years next week in Las Vegas. The only other player to win the Cup, the Vezina and the Conn Smythe was Bernie Parent. This Bruins team is simply not even close to champions without Thomas and I think they know that.

*Brad Marchand has continued to impress throughout the year and into the postseason. He may have only been the 3rd star but he set the tone early when he set up Bergy's first goal on a straight up hustle play. Same thing with his wraparound goal. Straight hustle. Anyone want to see a line of March-mont, Bergeron and Seguin next year? Tents de pantalones.

*The Stanley Cup is the best trophy in sports, this isn't a question. And we saw why on Wednesday night, when Big Z raised the Cup and let out a blood curdling yell that the NBC cameras picked up along with several F bombs. I loved seeing Recchi and Bergeron hoist the cup, great moment for the team.

*I don't know how I feel about the "Black Aces" on the ice for the celebration though. I mean Trent Whitfield out there? Really? When I have to ask who they are, that's not a good thing. I don't care that they are dressed if Marc Savard isn't out there, those guys shouldn't be out there either.

*Whoever chose to have the parade on Saturday is my new hero. I wanted to go regardless but I couldn't have went had the parade occurred today (damn real world obligations). I'm gonna crash in Boston tonight and get up real early to see the Cup. Any suggestions as to where the best place to watch the parade is greatly appreciated.

*Lastly, I want to say thanks to Rich Slate aka KitchRich of Boston Bias for letting me jump aboard and contribute to this site. I went to Providence College with Rich and we wrote for The Cowl together. After running into him at the Blackhawks game in March, I started contributing to the site. It has been a blast and I love getting feedback. I feel like we are continuing to grow in bunches and develop a readership. I would also like to thank all my followers on Twitter for being awesome all year, retweeting and linking my articles to their followers. What a ride.

*I will continue to be active on the site in this offseason, and will transfer to football in September (fingers crossed). I might cover Providence College men's hockey as well, if time allows me.

THANKS AGAIN AND CONGRATS TO YOUR 2011 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION BOSTON BRUINS!!!




No comments: