Search This Blog

Saturday, August 3, 2013

John Henry Buys the Boston Globe: Goodbye Quality Sports Journalism


I love the Boston Globe, I read it every day and have done that for as long as I can remember. I also love the Boston Red Sox, ditto my devotion to them. These two things have been awkwardly connected before when the New York Times Co. (which runs the Globe) owned a part of the Red Sox for 10 years but now this is ridiculous: John Henry, the principal owner of the Red Sox, has bought the Globe for $70 million (a slight drop from its value of $1.1 billion in 1993).

I'm somewhat conflicted since I want the Globe to thrive-a nearly impossible task for a newspaper in this day and age-but I guarantee that the product will suffer with Henry in charge. They'll say all the right stuff but who can tell me that the Globe will take the right approach when dealing with the Red Sox from this day forward? How will it be any different from Patriots.com? Even if it seems the same, there promises to be a seed of doubt in everyone's objective minds.

All I ask is that Henry doesn't treat the Globe like a PR firm for the Red Sox (that's NESN's job, zing) and he lets newspaper experts run the business while he hangs out on his yacht with his trophy wife and picks out what other expensive thing to add to his one of a kind collection (Red Sox, Liverpool & Boston Globe).







No comments: